Next up was an unnamed band (apparently now named 'The Band With No Name'), made up of members of other acts on the bill, playing rockabilly. After reviewing some of the shots of the Bophins, I switched to the 85mm lens to get some tighter shots. However, with movement restricted by the audience, and a double bass taking centre stage, I probably would have been better off sticking with the 50mm. That said, the 50mm lens wouldn't have got me the shot of the drummer that I like...
The original plan had been to stay a bit later and shoot more of the bands. But, with friends having to leave earlier than expected, and things running well behind schedule, I decided to call it a day. Overall, I'm reasonably happy with the results, but plenty more practice is still needed.
It was a bright day, although not as sunny as for the portraits course at Sudbury Hall a couple of weeks ago - good conditions for practising using fill flash. Outside exercises included shooting the model in a car. Inside, we took shots of people against windows, and a white studio backdrop. As well as using diffusers, we also bounced flash off reflectors.
I didn't get many shots that I was really happy with, but the day was more about trying out different things, and building familiarity with the techniques. The session was really well run by Louise - both friendly and informative.
I used the 50mm f/1.4 lens, with the camera in aperture priority mode, and experimented a bit with the depth of field. Indoors, I put the ISO on auto, with a minimum shutter speed set at 1/60s. In hindsight, I should have fixed the ISO. The shutter speed was a little too slow in some of the shots (mostly when the children were involved!), because the camera automatically set the ISO too low.
And, I'm still getting some inconsistent results with the auto-focus... I think I need to use the centre auto-focus point more and then recompose the shots, rather than using the 18 off-centre focus points.
Despite not taking particularly many photos, so as not to be a complete pain, and some auto-focus issues, I got a few decent shots - a mixture of posed and candid ones.
I decided to cut my losses before the headline act and just enjoy their set, not least because the crowd were crammed right up to the stage. In better conditions, they would have been great to shoot - very tight, and huge energy.
Still, it wasn't a complete loss - for starters, all the bands were great. I managed to salvage a few images via Lightroom, and learned a lot about how far I can push my EOS 70D in challenging conditions like this. I'm looking forward to shooting The Hip Priests again in a venue that has, oh I don't know, maybe at least one spotlight pointing at them!